Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunday in Sussex

Well we motored to Sussex...hardly anything on the roads...Ivy Lake - to spy Tundra Bean Geese (good sussex ticks) and on to another lake nearby for Whoopers Swans Pair.

Then we realised Bob had lost his wolly hat so to Pulborough B to buy new one!
We travelled mainly through back roads and spied a variety of birds...including Sprawk,Red legged Partridges and Buzzards.

We saw Marsh and Coal Tits on the feeders at PB and Nuthatch.

We went to a lake in Arundel to look for Mandarins and dipped out. Then we sought out Bewick Swans. We dipped these too!Bob said we ought to go to a certain place but then we didn't - guess what- later speaking to another birder waiting to see the Burton Mill Bittern- he had gone to this place and after a very carefull search had seen 20 Bewicks there! Drat!


We went back towards Chichester to go to Church Norton....lots of lovely birds here waders of a wide variety. With a bit of extremely rough sea watching!
(list to follow!)

Then it was on to Burton Mill Pond with a definite lack of birds.....

however we did get Goldcrest and Kingfisher and finally the Bittern popped up to the top of the reeds and was still there when we left!

A good days birding that finally brings my Year List to over a 100!

Peregrine,(my second of the year) Buzzards,(lots!) Sprawk, Kestrels(a few of these) - a nice little raptor fest!
With Red Kite yesterday as well!

Cold yes but not as bad as yesterday.

1 comment:

Warren Baker said...

Hello Eagles!
Interesting site your running!
I'm glad you enjoyed my pittswood blog. I try to update it daily, so sometimes it's exciting and sometimes not! I only cover my local patch,and as such, there are 'local' rareities that get me enthusiastic, eg, COOT! however I do get my share of nice birds too. I'll put a link on my site to yours.