Sunday, January 25, 2009

RSPB Big Garden Bird Watch






Well having guilt tripped my neighbour into filling her feeder (small) - I felt so sorry for my residents birds (no visitors for my Big Bird watch!) that I decided as my cats are elderly (will be 13 in April x3 plus the other one seems more interested in watching birds than catching them aged 11 appro) I would take the plunge and put out some feed.

On Thursday I started with water and some soaked bread in water and some seed in a tray - as I have Blackbirds - who dont tend to use feeders...well they liked that!

But on Saturday after the count found me in Pet Smart - and buying feeders that are squirrel and RN Parakeet proof oh and a suet cake as I also have some Starlings - i know they like suet cake!

Well the local birds have quickly taken to an extra stay in my garden.

First thing sat morning
8 House Sparrows
6 Starlings
6 Blackbirds
3 Wood Pigeons
2 Blue Tits
2 Robins
2 Great Tits
2 RN Parakeets
1 Dunnock
1 Blackcap
1 Magpie (who never stays long but generally perches watching from the rooves of the neighbouring houses)

None of the special recent visitors passed through on Sat (or even Sunday)
S'funny as flyovers aren't counted - Carrion Crows - lots of them
Feral Pigs, a variety of gulls....BH, LBB and Herring with the occasional Common
Grey Heron (daily),RNP by the hundreds and the Geese - Canada's, Egyptian and Greylags! Which gives a more rounded snapshot.


On Monday its the Big School Bird Watch at my local Primary School - we usually get a much wider variety in the School Grounds.



2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Is that a male Blackcap i see skulking in the bushes ?

Eagleseagles said...

Warren - Certainly is!