Wednesday, April 06, 2011

First Swallow(s)

Today I was able to get out in the sunshine !
This afternoon I needed to go to Bedfont Lakes CP to renew my "Friends of" sub.
This accomplished I had a really good chat with two of the staff about the birds and mammals in the park. (there is a special Nature Reserve that we friends of have access to - its open to the public on a Sunday afternoon for a ouple of hours- so its worth being a friend for the access you can have with few or no one around!
On hearing that there had been 2 swallows overhead today - this reminbded me I was on my way to Stanwell Moor to a farm where Swallows and House Martins breed.
When I arrived and walked to the sound of birdsong from hedgerows and trees and shrubs - lo there were 1,2,3 and 4 Swallows in the sky feeding! A little later I spotted one House Martin - there may have been more but I only saw one!Yet more Swallows were in the skies and displaying.

I went for a walk by the river and there were birds a plenty - Greenfinch,Chaffinch and lots of tits - Blue,Great and LTails, HSparrows,Blackbirds, Robins and Wrens.
oh and many the corvids flying over - a Buzzard and Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves(lots of these!)
Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Mallards and Coots on the lake and then I spotted a Stonechat! The first I have seen this year. My 200th bird species!

All this and BA planes taking off from nearby Terminal 5.

I then walked to Staines Moor spying a Little Egret taking off one of the pools and adding Chiffchaffs to the day list! A loud Green Woodpecker announced his presence even if I didn't actually see him!
But on my way back across the bridge a bird flew out of the trees across to another tree and a gorgeous male Redstart perched up! That was a special find!

It was then time to face the traffic home as there is quite an important football match to watch tonight!

No comments: