Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Golden Eagle poisoned

I was going to write up my encounter with a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at Oare Marshes in Kent on Friday. I may come back to this but yesterday I heard about a Golden Eagle female who had been found poisoned. story from BBC click on the title above. I am gutted as always when something like this happens to a beautiful bird.


This bird was one half of the only breeding pair in the Borders, where was she found? On a grouse moor. The date on Sunday? Twelth of August. For the uninitiated this is the start of the Grouse Shooting season.

I wonder if there is any connection?

2 comments:

Ospreywatcher said...

This actually happened very close to where I live. I reckon they know the gamekeeper responsible but getting proof is another matter. Good news is that the chick is looking like it will survive and the relative authorities have even been leaving deer carcasses for it to feed on.

Eagleseagles said...

Thanks for the update re the chick, Muffinman.

Talons crossed for the little one.